The Public Leadership Institute of Polk County (PLI) is a nonpartisan “pre-campaign” candidate and public leadership school with the mission of identifying and educating local business-minded leaders who are interested in exploring the possibility of one-day seeking public office and using business principles to address public issues.
• PLI of Polk County is a program of BusinessVoice, the political arm of the Lakeland Area Chamber of Commerce;
• Applications can be found by CLICKING HERE and must be returned by September 4. Selection is limited and competitive. There is no fee to apply or attend.
• Classes will be held at Florida Southern College on October 16, October 30, November 6 and November 20 from 9:00am - 3:00pm and will feature experts on candidacy, leadership and local public issues;
• There is no commitment required to run for office, merely consider the possibility of seeking a public leadership position in the future. The program cannot accept filed candidates for office. Attendance at the entire Leaders School is mandatory;
• The curriculum will cover “how to” topics, such as filing for office, choosing a campaign team, conducting a personal and political “pre-campaign” assessment and strategic plan, developing a campaign plan, leadership strategies, local public issues, political messaging and fundraising;
• The Lakeland Chamber's BusinessVoice is working with a nonprofit, nonpartisan public leadership development organization whose leaders developed the educational template with success in other areas. Nearly 30 business-minded graduates have entered public office from various programs that have used the model, including local public leaders Florida Representatives Ben Albritton (R-56) and Colleen Burton (R-40) and Polk County Commissioner Melony Bell.
• The Public Leadership Institute of Polk County is not a political action committee or campaign organization. Acceptance into the program does not guarantee a future candidate endorsement or support from BusinessVoice, program sponsors or anyone affiliated with the program.
For more information visit http://www.lakelandchamber.com/pages/PLI.